20.

The Phoenix Foundation
Buffalo

We start with a beautiful record, full of artistry and heart. New Zealand’s The Phoenix Foundation have been around a while, but 2011 was the year I was introduced to them and Buffalo was the first album of theirs I bought. It was released in 2010 in New Zealand, but a 2011 UK release means it’s eligible here, I think. The record is quite eclectic, with tracks like ‘Bright Grey’ being pretty much straight indie rock, while the likes of ‘Orange and Mango’ mess around with Americana and songs such as ‘Eventually’ offer slide-bar dreamscapes. The overall impression is one of ‘beautiful’ sounds (of one type or another) made by ‘proper’ musicians who really know what they’re doing. A record that was strong enough to make me investigate the back catalogue and to make sure I was at their (excellent) Glastonbury set. The fact that this record came 20th shows how strong the field was this year.

No comments:

Post a Comment